This wholesome pie with its puff pastry case shows just how delicious it can be and the homemade cranberry chutney gives it a tangy edge!
For the lattice slice
- 2 tbsp (30ml) vegetable oil
- 700g skinless, chicken breast meat, cubed
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 150ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp (30ml) dry vermouth or sherry
- 3 tbsp (45ml) double cream
- 2 tsp (10ml) cornflour, mixed to a paste with tbsp cold water
- 2 tbsp (30ml) fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30ml) fresh chives, snipped
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 500g puff pastry (ready made)
- flour for rolling out
- 75g bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
For the cranberry chutney
- 350g dried cranberries
- 450g Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp (5ml) root ginger, grated
- 4 tbsp (60ml) apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp (60ml) orange juice
- 225g sugar
For making the cranberry chutney
- Soak the dried cranberries in hot water for 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and slowly bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
For making the lattice slice
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and stir-fry the chicken and green pepper for 5 minutes or until the chicken is lightly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the stock and vermouth or sherry to the pan, bring to the boil and bubble until reduced by half.
- Add the cream, stir in the cornflour paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring until thickened and smooth.
- Stir in the parsley, chives and spring onions and return the chicken and green pepper to the pan.
- Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 220ºC.
- Lightly butter a baking sheet.
- Roll out just under half the pastry on a floured surface to a rectangle measuring 30.5 x 15cm and lift onto baking sheet.
- Spoon over the filling, spreading it to within 2.5cm of the pastry edges.
- Lay the bacon slices over the filling.
- Spoon over some cranberry chutney, be sure to cover the bacon.
- Dampen the pastry edges by brushing with water.
- Roll out the rest of the pastry to a rectangle measuring 33 x 20.5cm, fold it in half lengthwise and cut into the fold at 1cm intervals to within 2.5cm of the opposite edge.
- Lift over the base, unfolding the pastry so it covers the filling and pressing the pastry edges together to seal.
- Brush with beaten egg and bake for 25-30 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden brown.
Serve with leftover cranberry chutney and a salad.