Bulk-buy onions and pickle them – they’re fab served with cold meat and cheese platters or tossed through salad.
Makes 2-3 large jars
- 3 tbsp (45ml) salt
- 1kg pickling onions, peeled
- 1 tbsp (15ml) each coriander seeds and mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp (7ml) each black peppercorns and dried chili flakes
- 4 cups (1L) brown vinegar
- 3/4 cup (180ml) sugar
- Scatter salt over peeled onions, stir and leave overnight. The next day, rinse onions and dry with kitchen towel.
- Place spices, vinegar and sugar into a large stainless-steel pan.
- Heat but don’t boil so that the sugar dissolves.
- Pack onions into clean, sterilized jars. Fill jars with warm vinegar solution, ensuring each jar has pickling spices and no air pockets.
- Seal jars and leave to cool.
- Allow to pickle in a cool, dark place (The Pantry) for about a month before serving.